SHOWCASE INDIAN CULTURE
Every year, India Festival is hosted by FIA, to create awareness about the Indian culture, adding to the cultural diversity of Ohio. FIA hosts many events throughout the year in Central Ohio that involves the local community in productive activities. The festival is a one of its kind event presented by Indian community annually bringing the diversity of Asian Indian culture with all its splendor and Indian entertainment to central Ohio. India festival attracts the largest gathering of the Indian community in a single event in Columbus from Ohio and surrounding states. The event is extremely popular among the Ohio locals in Columbus and surrounding areas attracting college students, faculties, health professionals, vendors from across the country, entertainers, artists, people interested in Indian culture, those seeking Indian style entertainment and ethnic artifacts. This event offers an excellent opportunity to businesses to increase exposure of their products and services to the diverse audience at India festival.
Event: INDIA Festival 2017 Date: Saturday, August 20 th, 2016 Hours: 9 a.m. – 10 p.m. Location: Ohio Expo Center, Celeste Center, Columbus,Ohio Attendance: 10,500 + attendees accounted for. Growth: 300% increase in attendance over past 5 years Demographics: A combination of Asian families from Ohio, young adults, business and corporate professionals, students, children, performers, visitors to Ohio and those with and/or interested in Indian heritage and culture Funding: Booth rental to vendors, corporate sponsorship, souvenir advertisements, and entrance Health Fair: Free with physicians and medical professionals performing a variety of tests to monitor Showcase India: Guided tours of showcase India booths Childrens Area: Spelling, Math and Science Bee competitions, Scavenger Hunts, Lego Camps Market Place Vendors: 175 commercial,15 non-profit and 20 sponsors Photos: Coming Soon…
COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT AND BENEFITS
- The India Festival will involve residents:
- Provide the one and only open platform for all Columbus residents to explore, experience and learn about Indian culture and heritage.
- Encourage leadership and team building among youth through sports and cultural programs.
- Involve young local talent in folk dance, musical instruments, singing and stage performances.
- The India Festival will increase community volunteerism: Sister City International selected FIA as the top community volunteer organization in 2008.
- The entire festival is organized and managed by volunteers.
- Volunteers will promote health and fitness by conducting a free Health Fair and Health Screening service.
- The India Festival will improve the community: Generate economic activity of over $100,000 for local businesses in Columbus, Ohio.
- Foster communication and cooperation among the local Asian Indian community and National Marrow Donor Program, The Columbus Police, Franklin County Voter Registration, Red Cross and Ohio Wound Center.
- The Red Cross conducts an annual blood drive at the India Festival.
- India Festival is the largest gathering of Asian Indian community in Ohio celebrating diversity.
- Cricket Tournament The game of Cricket is very popular among the Indian community and is widely gaining popularity in the United States. FIA organizes the cricket tournament in order to increase awareness about the game and also provide an opportunity for friendly competition. Last year 24 teams participated in this event and the winning teams were awarded trophies from the honourable Mayor of Columbus – Mr. Michael Coleman.
- Fashion Show
- Fashion show is a glamorous segment of India festival. This section showcases the latest fashion trends among Indians. The models present fashion and style from all across India in different segments of regional, ethnic, traditional and modern Bollywood. There is peak attendance during this event.
- Prime Time Program
- This is the last section of India festival featuring a live orchestra by professional
- Indian entertainers and artists. It includes top quality Bollywood entertainment from well-known artists from across the US and India.
- This section involved the audience and provides an opportunity for attendees to come on stage and join the artists and other patrons, dancing and entertaining themselves to their heart’s content.
- Talent Competition
- Talent competition is a vital part of India festival. This section of the festival provides a platform for local artists to compete and showcase their cultural talent in front of the large audience of the festival. Over 200 participants of different ages take part in this event. All local Indian dance schools participate in this event. The winners receive trophies and all the participants get a certificate.
- The local kids and artists eagerly await and prepare long hours for this event.